Monday, April 20, 2009

The Boston Marathon

Today, in Boston (and all over Massachusetts) we celebrated Patriot's Day (yeah for no school). Patriot's Day is also when the Boston Marathon is run. I met up with my friends Sarah and Jen and we walked over to watch. We got a spot about two blocks from the finish line on Boylston. Here are some highlights:
Two Army Guys, running with packs on their backs
Words cannot even describe what I felt at that sight of this man.

Such an inspiration.

Jen, Sarah, and I. It was a sunny day, but the wind made it cold.

The finish line in Copley Square. It was crazy.

American Kara Groucher, who finished third. We stood by a man listening to the race who was giving us updates.

Ryan Hall (in the white), he finished 3rd.


Ryan Hall, the men's winner raced by like 5 minutes before.

Part of the pack. It was fun to cheer all the racers. People were ringing cow bells and yelling out words of encouragement. We stood by these guys who cheered for every single person that came by.

Some signs in the window behind us.
I am glad I went to the Marathon. It was a great experience. You saw the best in people and I was amazed by these athletes. They ran 26 miles. Some you could see the pain on their faces, but I think the crowd's encouragement carried them through. They are true athletes. Truly amazing.