Wednesday, November 19, 2008

My Mom!!!

My mom is the best. I am thankful for all she does for me and for what she teaches me. She leads by example. For example, the other day I was asking her why should I remember to acknowledge peoples' birthdays when they cannot put forth the same effort in remembering mine. Why should I give them a gift or even a card? It would teach them a thing or two. I wanted to be that petty person, but she reminded me that I needed to rise above that attitude and be the bigger person, which I always end up doing. Much to my chagrin sometimes. She always practices what she preaches. Last night, Renee called to tell me that Renee Berry Snyder, a friend who she had a falling out with last year, practically invited every woman in our home ward to her baby shower except my mom. She invited people who did not even know her. My mom found out about the shower because people called and asked if she would come with them. My mom politely told them no, she could not because she was not invited.

Though, she was upset, rightfully so, as she has done much for Renee in the past like providing her with rides, food, and letting her jerk of a husband (he is one of the rudest people I have ever met) into our house without complaint, she felt slighted by Renee. Instead, of focusing on her anger, she went out and bought Renee a baby gift from Mozart's in Redlands. She sent it to her and did get a thank-you card in return. She was the bigger person. She always does this though. No matter how she feels, even if the person has not treated her nicely, she is the first to volunteer to help out or offer them her support. She knows the right thing to do. I love this quality about her. Though we do tend to complain sometimes, we know the right thing to do. We feel good at day's end as it is the Christlike thing to do. I love my mom very much. I felt horrible when I heard how Renee had intentionally not invited her. No matter how she feels about my sister, she should not take it out on my mom. My mom has been nothing but nice to her and has done so much for her.

Again, my mom has decided to look the other way and made the best out of an ugly situation. I strive everyday to have this attitude. It is about having a loving heart. She has the most loving heart. I am so thankful for that. I love her very much. Thanks for continuing to teach me how to be the "bigger person" by example even when I am so resistant to the idea.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

You're mom is such an awesome lady! I have always admired her and appreciate all that she does for everyone. Thanks for sharing this. Oh and um, I totally agree with you about Renee's husband, when I was back in the branch all that ever came out of his mouth was a rude comment!

Janelle said...

I have always admired you mom too. I agree with Andrea, and thanks for sharing this. I know it could be hard to express feelings for all to read!