Sunday, November 9, 2008

"Finding Joy in the Journey"

"Let us relish life as we live it, find joy in the journey, and share our love with friends and family."

This past week I have been reading the General Conference talks in the November Ensign. I really enjoyed this past Conference and I especially loved the talk President Monson gave called "Finding Joy in the Journey." I felt his words were what I needed to hear at this particular moment in my life, especially as I had just experienced some major life changes.

His talk focused on dealing with the changes in our lives. He said that "some changes are welcome; some are not. There are changes in our lives which are sudden...But most of the changes take place subtly and slowly." I openly welcomed the changes in my life as I moved from California to Boston and began Graduate School. However, with these changes came homesickness and 3,000 mile gap between me and my family. This is the furtherest I have lived from them for a long period of time. Instead of dealing on this fact, I embraced these changes. As President Monson said in his talk "time never stands still; it must steadily march on, and with the marching comes the changes."

All my changes have been good and come with great results. President Monson spoke of how this is our one and only chance at mortal life as oppurtunities will come and go. We need to make sure that we do not let important things pass by us, but embrace them. He said we need to "find joy in the journey -- NOW." Live in the moment now and embrace what life has to offer. I have tried to do this and like I said it works. I have made some wonderful friends out and I am dating a wonderful man. He truly makes me happy in every way possible and I am so lucky to have him. So lucky!!!

President Monson goes on to talk about how we will have to deal with stresses along this journey. He said that "we should not let them get in the way of what is most important--and what is most important almost always involves the people around us." This is true. When school gets to be too much or family issues come up, I try to focus on what is positive in my life. Usually, I call my parents and they listen to me ramble on and on. My dad once told me that his shoulders were there for me to cry on and I have never forgotten that. He always can talk me through anything. My mom too. She listens and provides advice and laughs. Laugther really is the best medicine.

One of my other favorite quotes from his talke was "Let us relish life as we live it, find joy in the journey, and share our love with friends and family. One day each of us will run out of tomorrows." Hopefully, I still have many tomorrows left. I think I do. I am finding joy in this journey and hope it continues. Joy brings much happiness and strenghtens our relationships with others. Also, we need to remember to express our gratitude towards the Lord for all he has given us. So in times that are rough or when changes occur, lets remember to find joy in our journey no matter how hard it may seem.

1 comment:

Jessica Mangelson said...

Hi-
I know it has been a long time. I am sorry I have not done a better job of staying in touch. I will try and do better :)

I just wanted to say hello and tell you that I love you. Lynleah told me you had a blog and directed me here. I have been moved by your sweet thoughts and ideas. I loved Pres. Monson’s talk as well – he is amazing!

You look so happy, you always had the most peaceful spirit about you – you are so easy to be around. I am so happy for you and all the wonderful things you are doing!

All my love,
Jessica Mangelson

PS. You look so beautiful!!