Thursday, September 4, 2008

School begins!!!

Yesterday, I officially started school and became a first year grad student. I was laughing with some classmates that we no longer had to call ourselves Freshmen as we were no longer undergraduates. It is a different feeling as I do not have to worry about general education classes and can focus on my course of study which is library science. My first class I attended focuses on technology in the librarian world, but it is not about the mechanics of computers. We think outside the "box." Does that even make sense? One of our upcoming discussions will be on what is a document? I found this to be a very interesting question, especially when discussing the internet and blogs. We also talked about who decides what objects we perserve and why. Also, my professor asked us if we saw ourselves in our career working with people or working with objects. This is the difference between what path we will pursue in grad school. I have been torn about which path to take, but I have come to realize that I want to deal with objects. I want to make decisions about what objects are deemed acceptable to keep and how to preserve them for our future generations. The Archives concentration is calling me. Actually, tomorrow is my intro to Archives class which I am excited to attend. As part of this class, a 60 hour internship is required. I cannot wait to see where I end up.

My focus has been on school the last few days which has lead to some stress. So today I did not go to campus and just stayed home to finish the last of my unpacking and begin homework, which is a massive amount of reading. I completed most of it. I am trying to begin early so I do not get waylaid with too many different assignments. I have the tendency to stress easily, but I manage it by running and watching t.v. and blogging these days. This weekend I might attend a calmbake with my stake. I have never been to one so it will be interesting to go. I am still going through a period of adjustment but I have meet other students in my program who have moved many miles too. This is my new home now for the next two years. I think when that finally sunk in the other day I panicked, contemplated calling my mother and asking her to come back for a few days, and then realized that I will be okay. This is where I am suppose to be. How many times am I going to say that? Well, that is the truth. I like it out here though it is so different from California. It just takes time to get use to changes like not seeing my parents everyday or seeing Eli as frequently as I did. I am glad for the year I got to spend in California. I learned so much about myself and it allowed me to develop better relationships with people I love and develop new relationships with others.

I am sure I have many more adventures to come. If I do not catch a train before 4, we are all basically squished into like sardines. Lets just say that there are some people out there who need to invest in deodorant. Driving here is crazy. People cross the street when they please, which is what I do, so why I am complaining. Drivers are not afraid to honk at you if you do something they do not like. There are many one way streets and sometimes finding a parking spot is a nightmare, which is why I need to remember to walk to the gym. FYI-you can walk everywhere here if you use Public Transportation. Riding the train to school is much easier than driving. I have found with driving that I do not get lost getting to the place where I need to go, I just cannot seem to find my way back. Lets just say I have a map of Boston with me at all times. It is very helpful and I do not care that is makes me look like a tourist.

1 comment:

Laurel said...

Your classes sound so interesting! :) Glad to hear you're adjusting well and taking the time to work on your homework and trying to not be stressed. Don't forget to have fun!