Monday, May 11, 2009

Oh, Jet Blue

This past few days has flown by. After school ended this past Thursday, I hurried over to the airport to catch my flight to Salt Lake City to see my sister graduate from the University of Utah on Friday. I was suppose to fly from Boston to JFK and then onto Salt Lake. Everything was going fine until I overhear one of the gate attendents putting a couple on an earlier flight to JFK so they could catch their connection to Salt Lake. Wondering what was going on, I went to the desk and asked if I needed to switch flights. She told me I needed too because there were delays at JFK due to bad weather and that I did not switch flights, I would miss my connection.

So, I thought everything was okay until I got to the other gate and found this flight delayed. They said it would leave at 6:30, but still get in for me to catch my next flight to SLC. However, this changed, when I got to the desk they told me that my flight that night to SLC was cancelled. I could not believe it. She told me there was no way I would make it to SLC. Lets just say, panic set in. This could only happen to me. However, I was not about to miss my sister's graduation. I demanded my bag and decided to check other airlines for another flight. My dad reminded me to stay calm, but I was not. I called Delta while waiting for my bag. They put me on a flight that connected through Minneapolis and would put me in SLC at like 11:50. The problem was that flight left at 6:05 from Terminal A and it was 5 and I was in Terminal C. I ran like the wind over to Terminal A. I checked in, checked in my bag and jumped in a security line. The guy behind me asked me if I was okay. I was out of breath, red in the face, and trying not to have a breakdown. I explained my situation and he told me to cut in front on the line. I did. Then the screener let me in front of everyone. I could not believe the kindness of these people. It was an an answer to this silent prayer I had been saying.

After making it through security, I ran through the terminal to my gate, tears flowing down my face. I could not believe it. I was going to make it. I was going to get to SLC and see my sister. I was so excited to see her and wanted to see her get her diploma. Her graduation was amazing. I have many pictures that I will post later this week. Hopefully, my flight tonight will be uneventful. I am incredibly proud of my sister.

No comments: