Tuesday, February 3, 2009

GSLIS Rocks!!!

GSLIS is the name of the program I am currently enrolled in at Simmons College. It stands for the Graduate School of Library and Information Science. I realized that of all the many subjects I have discussed in my blog, I have not really touched upon my program beyond complaining about tons of homework and praising my archivial internship.

Many people think all librarians do is shelve and check in/check out books. Also, they tend to answer questions at the Reference desk. Believe me, I am not paying a lot of money to learn about shelving books or checking them in. Instead, I get to take classes like cataloging that teach me how to decide how to describe and classify books for libraries. We do this by creating MARC records, which I am just learning about along with metadata, which is data about data. Nathan and Julee maybe the only two people who just understand what that previous sentence meant. Cataloging is part of the "Information of Organization." We learn how libraries create and use retrieval tools, like online catalogs and finding aids among other things. Most of us are drawn to this program because we are organizers and planners.

Also, I am learning about how to build websites and wikis because libraries maintain them at their job. Next year, I am probably going to take XML and database management. We have to learn how to use computers and the accompanying technology as libraries. As references librarians, we have to just updated on the technological jargon and creations, like mobile visual search, to explain to patrons how to find information on these subjects. Luckily, we are aided by the Reference class, which I will take next semester. There are also classes available for managing electronic records, archives (I am part of the archival concentration), different types of librarianship like law, children's, and medical, and public school teachers. They cover all areas.

It is an interesting Graduate program. The work load is tedious, but we learn much. This semester, I have two professors from New Zealand. We have professors and librarians from all over the world visit our program, which is housed in one of the five buildings that make up Simmons. I am thankful for the oppurtunity to be part of such a great program. I am learning and reading much. This semester, I particularly love my Management class because as future library directors we have to know how to properly manage our libraries. The other class I have is Archives and digital preservation. We are learning how to preserve digital records. This is what I am studying and what I love, though there are days I do not love it when the work gets a little much. I cannot wait to graduate and get into an archive. I have decided that I might migrate back west, who knows!

I have made many friends in my program. We are all bonded by our love for libraries and archives. We always share stories and have a good laugh. We come from all walks of life, but that is what makes Simmons unique. They love to celebrate diversity. You see it everywhere you go. No one judges me because I am LDS. They embrace it and ask many, many questions, which I try to answer to the best of my ability. I love my school.

No comments: