Sunday, February 8, 2009

Jane Austen Movie Night

Tonight, I went over to my friend Jen's house to do some visiting teaching, Jen and I are companions, and join in on her apartment's Jane Austen movie night. Each Sunday night, they put on a showing of an Austen classic. Who does not love Jane Austen books or movies? I missed last week's showing of Pride and Prejudice due to the fact I was watching the Super Bowl. They showed Mansfield Park. I had heard of Mansfield Park, but had never the novel or seen any movie version of it.

We watched the BBC version. I enjoyed it. It is a story about a girl named Fannie Price, who is sent by her parents as a little girl to live with her rich aunt and uncle at their home, named Mansfield Park. She grows up with her cousins Tom, Edmund, Mariah, and Julia. She is best friends with Edmund and falls in love with him. However, she does not tell him. As Edmund is the second eldest son in the family, British custom dictates that he will either have to join the military or become a clergyman as his brother Tom will inherit the family wealth. Fannie is not really well liked by her aunt and uncle. As an adult, she secretly wishes to marry Edmund, but he is set to become a reverend. During this time, a brother and sister, Mary and Tom Crenshaw show up at Mansfield Park to pursue rich spouses. When Mary realizes she cannot get the eldest son Tom, she goes after Edmund. Tom initially chases after Mariah, but she is engaged to marry a Sir Rushworth, who is very wealthy. It is a very typical Jane Austen plot. After Tom realizes he cannot get Mariah, he goes after Fannie. However, Fannie wants Edmund and Edmund becomes besotted with Mary.

Have I built up a good intrigue. As not to ruin the ending, though many can guess how is ends, go read the novel or pick up the movie. I have added Mansfield Park to my reading list. I loved the ending. Fannie is a very enduring character, who follows her heart like Elizabeth Bennett, even it will lead her to heartbreak. I am excited about next week's showing though I am not sure what it is. It is a fun time to watch a good movie with friends.

No comments: