Sunday, February 22, 2009

Come What May and Love it!

Today, this was the theme of our Relief Society lesson, which was based on the talk given by Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin during this past General Conference. I felt the lesson was directed at me. I am not the best when it comes to dealing with change or just difficult/emotional situations in general. However, this lesson provided with hope that I will become better it. Elder Wirthlin's main point was that how we act to adversity can become a factor in how happy and successful in life we can be. That is true.

He told the story of how his football team had lost a tough game. After he came home and lamented the loss to his mother, she said "Come What May, and Love it." He said he thought she was saying that life has it peaks and valleys. Yet in times of disappointment and adversity, those who are happier seem to have an easier time learning from difficult times and becoming happier, stronger, and wiser as a result. He offered suggestions on how to get through these times of adversity:

1. Learn to Laugh: What a great lesson. Laughter is always the best medicine, which I have found with friends these past few weeks. Also, my family laughs at everything, no matter how embarrassing. I think at day's end, it is these funny times with my family that sustains me and gets me throught each day. So, lets laugh more.

2. Seek for the Eternal: Keep everything in an eternal prospective. What happens here is but for a small time. Lets remember the bigger picture, which is what my parents remind me of constantly.

3. Principle of Compensation: The Lord compensates the faithful for every loss. That which is taken away from those who love the Lord will be added unto in his own way. As we cross the veil, we will be given new oppurtunities.

4. Trust in the Father and the Son: We must always remember to rely on the Lord. Elder Wirthlin said the secret is simple: put your trust in the Lord, do your best, then leave the rest to him. He will never lead us astray.

He says that he knows why there is adversity because if it is handled correctly, it can be a blessing in our lives and we can learn to love it. As difficult as this sounds, maybe once we do it, we will find happiness. It will make our lives less difficult and bring us joy. Lets remember to laugh and trust the lord. Through everything, I hold unto the laughter and the lord.

No comments: