Saturday, October 25, 2008

Stake Conference and Mitt Romney???

This weekend is my ward's stake conference and tonight was our first meeting. It was held at the Belmont chapel, which is located right outside of Cambridge and across the street from the temple. So Rebecca and I find a parking spot and make it to the meeting right at 7 and they actually started on time. However, as not everyone could fit into the chapel and as their gym was located downstairs, they wired the church to broadcast the meeting throughout the building. Rebecca and I ended up down in the gym.

We got ourselves and were listening to the Stake President welcome us and all the sudden this group of people walk in. Mind you, our single's ward is part of a stake the includes the Belmont family wards. As the people part to find their seats, there is Mitt Romney and it was this surreal moment. I have seen him on television and in the papers, but there he was in person with his wife. He looked just as he does he television. He is well polished. I did not know what to think. His family has lived in Belmont for a long time so it did not surprise many people that he came to stake conference.

After I got over my shock, I nudged and told Rebecca. Mitt and his wife sat in the back. But as more people came in, the man sitting one seat away from me scooted over one seat so others could sit down. All of the sudden, I see Mitt Romney's wife sitting down three seats away from me and her husband was on the other side of her. I could not believe I was sitting four seats from Mitt Romney at stake conference of all places. How would have thought? Not knowing what to do, I texted Renee who told me to try and touch him. I reframed, but other members in my ward were having surreal moments too as we all traded notes after the meeting ended. I did not shake his hand, but he seemed very friendly. I am sure he is. It was cool. What can you say. The guy ran for President, but he still truly values his Mormon faith. John, my boyfriend for all those who do not know, told me that he knew some of his sons after I relied that whole story to him.

It almost made me feel a little bad that I chose not to vote for him as everyone thought I was crazy when I said John McCain would win the Republican nomination. Though we are both Mormon, that was not enough for me to chose to support him. Oh, well. I sat four seats from him tonight...

2 comments:

Laurel said...

Oh sweet! You should have accidentally fell on him while he was sitting down or something. That would have been hilarious. :D

Andrea said...

Hi Janae, this is Andrea Reeder. I guess you could say I'm one of those blog stalkers...I found you off of Heather Thomas' blog. That is so cool that you were that close to Mitt Romney! My cousin lived in Boston a couple of years ago. I'm pretty sure she attended that same singles ward because I remember her saying that he was in her Stake. She and her friends said he is just as good looking in person as he is on TV. Let's play the six degrees of separation game...check if any of your ward members knew a Melanie Brown, that's my cousin. Sorry for such a long comment! Hope you are doing well! :)