Sunday, August 24, 2008

3,000 mile adventure

So I realized how sad I was in my first post as that can be contribute to my waning homesickness. So last Sunday, I left with my parents for a 3,000 mile across the U.S. to Boston. I drove my Prius while my parents drove a rented white Suburban full of my stuff (FYI: Moving is the best cathartic experience as I finally got rid of stuff I did not need anymore). We spent the first night in Flagstaff, Arizona and celebrate my mother's birthday at Outback. It was a blast. The next day we drove to Amarillo, Texas. Did you know that for every exit you pass in New Mexico there is a Stuckey's/Dairy Queen? Well there is but we did not make a stop at one. From Texas, we decided to drive to St. Louis, Missouri. We almost made it to St. Louis as we stopped in Lebannon, Missouri. Let me tell you, that Vegas is not the only place where there are adult video stores. The moment we entered Missouri, every exit advertised adult video stores. That night we ate at Sonic in Springfield, Missouri.

From Missouri, we drove up to Mansfield, Ohio though our original goal was Cleveland. As we went through St. Louis, we got to see the Arch. It was awesome. I also got to see the stadium where Peyton Manning played. From Mansfield, we made the 13 hour drive through northern New York to Boston. Let me say that Lake Erie is beautiful asit Northern NEw York as it was all green. We ate at Bob Evans, which was good. When we finally made it to Boston after 10, we checked into the Hyatt on the Charles River in Cambridge and collapsed. I called Renee and asked her what would be the perfect meal to have that broke all the rules of my diet so I partook in pizza and a vanilla milkshake. It was heaven.

I woke excited to be back in Boston. I felt home. I really did. I took my parents to lunch at Legal Seafood proceeded by some shopping at the Shops at the Prudential Center. From here, we went to check out Simmons College. My school is beautiful. I am officially a Simmons Shark and I cannot wait for school to start. Next, we stopped at Harvard as I had to show my father this beautiful campus. From here, we went back to the hotel and relaxed. We had dinne that night at La Piccola Venezia in the North End of Boston. It had great Italian food as we ate and then had some authentic gelato. The next day, Saturday. We drove out to see the Boston temple and drove through the town of Belmont. We had lunch at this great pizzeria. We also walked around Concord and went back to Cambridge where my dad moved all my boxes into my new place. I will send my new address to all those who want it and if I forgot, my mom has it.

What can I say about my parents. They were troopers from the 3,000 mile drive to taking me to Boston. They are the best. I am sorry if any of my actions frustrated them as I realized that they are the reason I am here and that I can do this. I miss them and they have not even been gone for 10 hours. But I am okay and they can visit anytime they want.

I am really blessed to have them and a great brother, sister, sister-in-law, nephew, Aunt Julee, and cousin Aubree. You guys are my rocks. I love you very much as you always supported my decisions and loved me. So i have one request, if you are reading this blog, everybody is going to be getting a Simmons t-shirt or sweatshirt. Let me know your preference and size. I am going to invest hopefully in a digital camera and put up pictures of my school, new home, and anything else I can.

School starts in a week. I realized that I am going from a conservative school, BYU to a liberal arts school. It should be interesting. Also, I go from a cougar to a shark. I love you all. Peace out!!!

No comments: