Saturday, October 3, 2009

Fall baking!!!

So, I am so excited that fall is here. In Boston, the leaves are beginning to turn and hey, I can deal with the rain to a point. Thank goodness for rain boots. However, I am most excited about baking. With fall comes pumpkin and apples. Today, I made a huge batch of pumpkin chocolate chip cookies. Tomorrow, comes pumpkin pie followed by many other things like banana bread and zucchini bread. I felt inspired by Ali Goodell (my sister-in-law's sister) and her mom Becky who posted about their breads on facebook. Both made my mouth water, so they are forth coming. Also on the list is cinnamon crunch muffins, apple bread/cake, pumpkin muffins, and pumpkin cream cheese swirl bundt cake. I had it tonight and it was awesome. I am sure the list will grow, but I am ready for it.

Along with thinking about things to bake, I have been looking for good ingredients to use. When I made my cookies I used organic sugar and brown sugar. Can I say, I loved both of these organic sugars. The brown sugar was granular, but you could not even tell. Plus, I like to use half butter and half unsweetened applesauce instead of the full serving of butter. It makes your baked good a little fluffier and tastes fantastic. So organic sugar and brown sugar have become my new must haves. Plus, thanks for my mom, I now have slit pads and a sifter. I love my sifter, I really do and my cookie scoop. They are my must haves. So take advantage of the fall, even in Cali and break out some fall baked goods!!! Also, after talking with my roommate Annie, I am going to try and attempt to make a pumpkin ice cream pie, which her mom makes. It sounds delicious. Canned pumpkin is the best. I may even try to make a sauce with it. Who knows!

3 comments:

Laurel said...

Geez, Janae, you're making me hungry! :D I'm glad Ali and my mom's recipes inspired you! I just wish we weren't leaving on a trip in the morning or I'd spend Conference Sunday baking some yummy fall treats! :D

Miss you! Enjoy the changing seasons for me, since we have none here! :D

Janae and Topher said...

Thanks Laurel. You'll have to bake when you get back.Yeah, your mom and sister have me planning on baking zucchini/banana bread next weekend. Enjoy the Utah Fall! I miss you guys too! If you really want to see changing seasons, just jump on a plane to Boston.

JAG said...

Aww, you're so cute! I'm glad I had a hand in this! Now where are these recipes?? I want to make pumpkin stuff now!! ;)