Wednesday, October 21, 2009

3,000 mile perspective

Over the past few weeks, I have been reflecting over all the changes the have occurred in my life over the past year. Yes, I have officially resided in Boston now for well over a year. I have had my ups and my downs, but I have grown a lot. The funny thing about moving out has been, it has really give me a new perspective on the relationships I have with people in my life. 3,000 miles will do that to you because it has allowed me to really see people and to see what relationships I really do cherish. I realized that I had many "toxic" relationships where I constantly gave and gave but a few people never gave back. I was putting in all this effort to maintain relationships because I thought well as long as the other person is happy that is what matters. But you know what, I realized that I was being treated like crap by some people. Because I was too nice some people took advantage of that. It became all about them and how I was not meeting their needs or doing what they wanted. As I did everything, they really did nothing for me and even when I asked, they still blow me off, but heaven forbid I did the same thing to them. Then I was accused of being mean or being rude or of forgetting someone. Also, these people did not want you to be happy or let other people be happy. It had to be about them.

Like I said, the 3,000 miles really allowed me to see these people for who they really are and I had to decide what I wanted to do. I really did. I started to evaluate these relationships and found that the people who love me and wanted to have a relationship with me, made an effort to know me and see how I was doing. This move has strengthened relationships too and brought me closer to people. Renee and I are as close as ever. She is just so wonderful and she is my best friend. I tell her everything. Really, I do. I do not keep anything from her. It is scary how well we know each other, but I love her dearly. Lewis is a lucky guy. My parents and I are closer too. I love my mom and dad so much. My mom always seems to know when to call me when I'm having tough days. We always laugh and exchange stories. My dad too. Though he is not the best with words, I know he is proud of what I am doing out here. Both of them are. I have made it to where I am because of their love and support. I feel like they should receive part of my Master's degree too. They have never questioned my choices, which I appreciate because they want me to be happy.

In a way, I have grown closer to Nathan and Laurel too. This is due in part to Laurel's blog and facebook, but also through emails and random phone calls. We know what is happening with each other, especially with my cute little nephews. They are the best. They really are. We make the effort. Also, my Grandma Lakey is always there too. She calls me every few months to check in with me and to see how I am doing. I enjoy our chats because it gives us a chance to catch up with each other. I love her very much. I could go on and on about other people like my cousins Jessica and Lynleah or even my Aunt Amy. She texts me weekly to see how things are going. Also, I have developed some really great friendships out here. I was meant to know these people out here as they have made such an impact on my life.

I have some great church friends, but I have developed some wonderful friendships with people in my program that will last well after school. They have really made an impact on me and I am so thankful for them.

Good relationships is the key for me. I am done with the bad. I am done with constantly giving, only to get nothing back or just to get venom spewed back at me. I was even told by a very wise person out here, who has made such a difference in my life, that it is okay to be a "little mean and to draw lines." So thanks 3,000 miles. You allowed me to finally take some control, see who I really want in my life, and brought new friends into my life.

No comments: