Tuesday, March 17, 2009

My new job!

In two weeks, I begin my new part time job at the John F. Kennedy Library here in Boston. I still cannot believed how I ended up with my job. In late February, I saw a posting for a part time PAID internship for the Archives processing unit at the JFK Library. With the recent recession, not many archives/libraries are hiring part time workers, but asking for donated time. I jumped at the chance knowing I would be competing with various classmates for the position. After sending in my cover letter and resume, I got invited in for an interview. The night before, I studied their website to learn about their collections and programs. The archive site had a link to their Oral History Project. The family historian in me was immeadiately intrigued and I found they have over 1,000 interviews.

During my interview the next day, at the end, i innocently asked abou the project, thinking nothing of it. A few days later I was notified that I had not been hired for this position, but that they recomended to the head of the Oral History Project for a part time internship that was opening up. I could not believe it. My resume landed on this desk because I just asked one question at the end of my previous interview about this project and now I had another oppurtunity to work for the JFK in the Oral History department. Last Friday, I went in for this interview. IT went well and they told me I would hear back from them within the week. Also, they said this job had not been posted yet. I thought, oh well, here I go again. Two hours later, while checking my email, I received an email telling me they wanted to hire me. I was estastic. Now, I will be working there for two days a week until I graduate or until they run out of funding for my position. I am so excited. One little thing changed everything. I guess you never know what will happen.

4 comments:

JAG said...

Woo! Congratulations!!

Andrea said...

Congratulations! That sounds like such an awesome job. Good luck!

Janae and Topher said...

Thanks you guys!

Laurel said...

Wow, that sounds like a really cool job! And what serendipitous circumstances. Congratulations! :)