Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Family!

These past few weeks, I have been thinking about family and the ties that bind us together. What defines us as family? I have reflected more upon this the past two weeks as in church, during relief society, we have been discussing Heavenly Father and our relationship with him. He is our heavenly father. He loves all of us as we are his children. He sent us down here to have earthly families though their are some days I wish I could have chosen different members of my extended family, but I will not go into that here. I love him! I truly do. But it made me just ponder family even more maybe because being part of my family is not easy sometimes.

Again, it comes back to what binds us together. While I know one strong tie is blood, I don't think it is the most essential tie in defining a family. I love my immediate family with all my heart. I wouldn't trade them for anything in the world. My parents are loving, wonderful, and supportive. They truly are. I have great relationships with my brother and my sister. I love them very much and I love and adore my two nephews. They melt my heart every time I see them because it's only a couple times a year. However, my immediate family has extended twice over the course of these past six years. I gained a new sister and a new brother and have developed good relationships with them. I love them. They are my family and I find them very brave for wanting to be part of our family because it's not always easy. They're incredible. Nathan and Renee are so lucky.

I have many friends, especially out here in Boston, I consider my family. I love them dearly and they make me not want to leave here when I graduate because I don't want to lose these connections, but I know they will continue for a long time. Back in California and Utah, I have other friends who are my family. I love them dearly. Then it hit me the other day about what ties us together, what makes us have these familial connections, they are always there through the good times, bad times, and boring times. When something goes wrong, they offer your support and listen and when times are good they celebrate and laugh with you. There are not ifs, ands, and buts. And when things are just moving along, they are still their. Asking how things are, going to lunch or hanging out to trade stories and laughter. They are not deceptive and are not out looking for ways to use you to hurt others. They do not try to paint you as a liar to your own parents or put you down because you are not like them or trying to live out their Perry Mason fantasies on you. I love my family so much. They are my support system and have helped me through so much.

I don't know how much this post will make sense to many people, but I just want to get across that family has no essential defining characteristic. I love all of you!!!

No comments: