Tuesday, September 15, 2009

School!

So this past week, school began. I am officially in the last year of my program and graduated in May, yes this coming May. It is funny that the end is so close when I just started last year. Also, starting this year, I wasn't as nervous as I was last year. This is because I knew what to expect and because I am driven by the desire to graduate. My program is great, but keeps me busy. Graduate school is not meant to be easy. If I am not reading articles, I am writing papers, doing research, or this semester, learning how to build databases. Also, between working and going to school this semester, I also have to complete an internship, but it is worth it. Very worth it and my mom threatened to come out here and go to school with me everyday until I graduated. Just kidding!!!

The most pressing question I have been getting is where I am going after I graduate. I have contemplated this very much and have come to the conclusion that if there are no job opportunities or other things (i.e. boys) keeping me here that I will leave Boston. There are jobs all over, but realizing this, was such a relief. But as of now, I am focused on school. Come this May, I will be a Master. Who would have thought? Well, my parents did. They never give up on me and encouraged me to always follow my dreams. Thank you for teaching me all you could and for letting me stand on my own two feet and learn from my mistakes. This is why I can live in Boston and be okay, well most of the time, I can be okay. They carry me at times when I think I can't go on and Renee too. She is my best friend and my sounding board. Nathan and Laurel are also very supportive. I can't say enough about those two and their two cute little boys. They are so adorable and I miss them everyday. Thanks guys! I love you!

Also, living out here has allowed me to gain new perspectives on relationships I have with people. It is funny that in moving 3,000 miles I have redefined relationships and redrawn boundaries. I have truly seen who some people are and found who I really want to have in my life. It is funny how it took distance to come to these conclusions, but hey, it did. On another note, it took these 3,000 miles for me to find myself, who I really am. I fell hard at one part, but it is this fall that I believe truly saved me. It did. I had to find my bottom to make it to the top again. It is never the easiest journey, but I am doing it one step at a time. Some people may not like the changes, but I finally feel like I am being true to myself and it is freeing.

Also, I have gotten alot of love, support, and perspective from my cousin Jessica. I kind of followed her path as she left home (in Utah) and completed her master's (in Syracuse) and Ph.D. (in Ohio). She lived far from her family, but she accomplished what she set out to do. She has given me a lot of great advice and relates to where I am at because she has been here. Her words and love just have made all the difference lately. Today, she is happily married with two kids. I hope to emulate her in so many ways. I am so thankful she is part of my life. I love her so much. So here is my shout out to her. Thanks for everything Jessica. It has made an incredible difference in my life, it really has. You are awesome. I love you so much!!!

So my blog updates may become fewer as my life gets busy. I am currently balancing working 24 hours on top of taking three classes and in a few weeks I have to fit in an internship. I think my few hours will be spent in homework and sleeping. Oh glorious sleep. But the hard work is worth the best reward. I love learning though writing papers is never fun, but studying to be an archivist is really interesting, especially this year. I love describing to people now that I am a keeper of the past. So, I won't bore you anymore with archive talk, but will say good night. It is almost 10 and I like my sleep!

No comments: