Saturday, November 14, 2009

Jon Stewart and Archivists

This past week, UC Santa Cruz posted a job listing for an archivist who would work with their Grateful Dead collection. Yes, the Grateful Dead have their own archive that is located in the UC Santa Cruz Special Collections and Archives. When I saw the job posting, I thought this looks like a job I am qualified for. Plus, it pays over $60,000 a year and you get to live in Santa Cruz. So awesome (as it starts in March and I graduate in May, I am deciding whether to apply for this job). We'll see.

Yes, our profession does not get much notice or basically, most people do not understand what an archivist is or what exactly they do. Take Jon Stewart, yes the Jon Stewart of the Jon Stewart show. He, well his staff, found this posting and they thought it funny because they did a segment on it. While, I found the starting funny because really, organization and the Grateful Dead do not belong in the same office. However, the rest of it showed how little he understands about what exactly we do. I am not going to six years of school just to learn how to things alphabetically and numerically. I think our profession needs to do better outreach. The archival listservs have been going crazy. We should just take it in strive because who knows one day, one of us will have Stewart's papers.

No comments: