Monday, October 31, 2011

Halloween Half

A week ago, this past Saturday, my friend (and roommate) Linnea and I ran the Halloween Half marathon. The night before, we went and picked up our packets at the University Mall in Provo, Utah. It was kind of chaotic. After getting my packet, I noticed that somehow, I was registered as a male. It came as quite a surprise to me!


For this half marathon, everyone dressed up in Halloween costumes. Many people were very creative. Sadly, I did not bring my camera to the start line. One guys dressed up as a shower...well as the shower scene from the Karate Kid. I dressed up as a pink fairy and Linnea dressed up as a pink bunny. Many people were dressed up as Where's Waldo and there were many fairies.
The morning of the marathon, we had to be at the mall to catch the bus at 6 though the race did not start until 9. It was freezing cold. Our race began up around Sundance in Provo Canyon. We ran down Provo Canyon to this park right outside of the Riverwoods shopping area in Orem. The anticipation just built up that morning. I really wanted it to begin. This was my first half marathon. And honestly, I was kind of nervous to run it. That is 13.1 miles. The most I had run in training was 11.5 miles. I would like to thank my sister and her husband for letting me run to their house for the past few Saturdays and then giving me a ride home.

As the race began, I started with a slow pace. The first five miles were downhill. You do not want to sprint down because you will waste your energy for the rest of the race and it will cause havoc to your leg muscles. I had my ipod with me and jammed to a lot of Britney Spears and Kesha. It was a good mix with a good beat. My goal was to run the entire race. The first three miles flew by. And then before I knew it I was at mile 6. The whole time, I just keep telling myself "you can do this." I was running this marathon for myself. It was not about my time or anything else. I wanted to prove that I could do this.

As mile 8 approached, I was hurting. I started saying to myself, "Just keep running, just keep running" (instead of "just keep swimming, just keeping swimming). I kept counting down the miles. I was running about a ten minute mile. However, when I past mile 9, I never saw a sign for mile 10. It kind of threw me. Because the next thing I knew, I was at mile 11. Mile 11 was tough. I was tired and hurting. However, I knew once I got to 12, I was in the home stretch and would have some support. After running for 11 straight miles, I walk/ran mile 11.

When mile 12 came, I wanted it to be over but knew I had to make it to the finish line. When I started walking, this woman came up behind me and said "finish strong." I started to pick up my pace. Along the way, Ben meet me on the course and started running with me to the end. Then we meet up with my sister and brother-in-law. They both ran behind me. Ben kept telling me I was so close and that I was going to make it. All three helped me to the finish line. Before the finish line, I saw my friend Merisa and her little girls cheering me on. It was so cute! And truthfully, I do not think I would have gotten there without them. Their support meant everything because I felt like I had nothing left.

After crossing the finish line, they handed me my medal. I ran the half marathon in 2:22. And because I was in the male division, I finished 119th in the 25 to 29 division. So funny!!! Renee took some after photos. I may have to bribe her for them. Just kidding.

I learned from this race, that we are capable of doing anything we set our mind too. And we are never alone in our pursuits. I had support that helped me get to the end. That made an incredible difference. These amazing people who came out to cheer me on. I could not have asked for more. Also, I learned once again that I can do difficult things. Though I think I cannot do them...I can. We can do anything. We just have to believe in ourselves!

3 comments:

Laurel said...

You, my dear, are simply inspirational! I can't believe you ran a half-marathon, that is amazing. And all the while pretending to be a man? Even better. ;)

Congratulations on this awesome accomplishment!!

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you!!!
Way to go you amazing woman!
-Jessica

Renee said...

You did super awesome that day Janae! I am proud of you!