Saturday, November 19, 2011

Happy 80th Birthday!!!

This past week, my grandfather turned 80 years old. So my aunt and uncle throw a party for him. Renee, Lewis, and I drove down for it. It was in St. George, Utah. It was nice to get out of Salt Lake City for awhile and to see our parents and family. My grandpa's birthday was held at my aunt and uncle's house. They served a wonderful meal, which included ribs. The party was amazing. And we are all so thankful for all the effort Rich and Gail put into it. You guys are rock stars!

My grandpa is one of the most amazing people I know. He is kind and loving. And most of all, he is devoted to his family. He never asks for anything and is an incredible giver of his time and energy. My aunt put together a book of memories for my grandpa. It included stories and thoughts from his children and grandchild. The theme of them was how much we love him and how grateful we are to have him in our lives. He has always been there for us through everything.

At the party, my grandpa told me, Renee, and Lewis about his time in the military. He was drafted and was suppose to go to Korea. Because of this, he was going to wait to marry my grandma after his time in Korea ended. He really did not want to go to Korea. And he never set foot in the country. Instead, he ended up as a supply sergeant in California before being sent to Washington. He was incredibly lucky more than once that he never had to go to Korea. Each time, it seemed something came up that kept him in the U.S. It was the Lord watching over him. He knew my grandpa had other important things to do, like marry my grandma and start his own family.

Today, my grandfather is the proud father of three wonderful children, the loving grandfather of nine grandchildren, and the happy great grandfather of thirteen great grand kids. He is loved fiercely by all of them. We all look up to him and the example he has set forth for all of us.

Happy Birthday Grandpa!

Gail bringing out the chocolate birthday cake! And that is 80 candles!




Renee, Grandpa, and I


The guys' poker game!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wish I could have been there!
-Jess