Friday, February 12, 2010

In Honor of Valentine's Day...

I thought I would share some amusing antidotes about my dating life. You see, I seem only attract the weirdos for some reason. I really do. I think it is in my DNA and sometimes I think it is almost too much to ask for just a normal guy. Just one normal guy, he can even be semi normal. After what I had this past year, semi normal sounds good.

So to prove my point about the weirdness, here are some of the highlights from this past year:

1. I knew going to that date auction was a bad idea. At this time, last summer, my ward had older men in it, and by older, I mean over 40. My biggest fear was that one would win my date and lo and behold, God did not let me down. This 40 plus man won and we went out to a nice steakhouse. He is a nice guy, but all he could talk about was how he needed to find his "eternal companion." You know, take that next step. I have never heard the phrase used so much. And the whole time, I kept thinking, you are like ten years younger than my parents. He wanted to take a stroll by the Charles, but I convinced him to walk me to the subway. He asked me out again, but I just told him we needed to be friends. He now avoids me.

2. So only Renee has heard this tale and probably Lewis. This past fall, I was browsing this store in Harvard Square and I noticed this guy hovering next to me. He finally told me that he was jogging by and saw me through the window and thought I was so beautiful that he had to ask me out. I was flattered. This never happens to me, but only to other people. I agreed and thought he has initiative, which some guys in my ward seem to lack. He asked me for my number and said he would call me. So we arranged to go see Stomp and have dinner. Before my date, I made sure my sister and roommates knew the details. I even programmed a text to my sister to call me with an emergency if I needed an out.

I never should have gone. I told him at our initial meeting, I grow up near L.A. He decided to prep for our date by watching season 1 of Melrose Place because everyone in California has watched it. I should have taken that for a sign on how the date would go. He told me he failed out of Dental School because he never studied and was now studying to be an accountant so he could make a lot of money, but he did not like studying for that either. He kept referring to my school as Smith, no matter how many times I called it Simmons. We had nothing in common. No spark, no anything. He spent the whole show staring at me. It was uncomfortable. As I went to the bathroom, I thought I need to leave, but I had forgotten my coat.

After the show, which was really good, he took me to Legal Seafoods. You know the date is bad when your waitress feels sorry for you. He just has no people skills. I laid our jacket between us and did not say much. I finally escaped to the bathroom where my cell phone got no signal. It just felt weird and I knew I had to leave. As I walked out of the bathroom, he was standing there, waiting for me. To get back to the table, you had to walk up these stairs. Walking up he trailed behind me. I was disgusted. All I wanted to do was take a shower. We sat down and I quizzed him on where he lived because we were not going home the same way. I found out he lived on the opposite side of town from me. I never told him my last name or where I lived and he apparently did not learn where I went to school. He walked me to the T station where he proceeded to tell me how attracted he was to me and wanted to go out again. He pulled out his cell phone and told me to call him. I said good night and just bolted. I ran to catch the train and laughed and cried the whole way home. I have learned my lesson about dating non LDS guys. Never again.

3. I had a little admirer in my new ward. He was socially awkward and did not pick up on my social cues that I was not interested in him. He is a nice guy, but his actions towards me just made church feel a little uncomfortable to the point that I had to make sure I sat between two friends and avoided him. I finally told him I was not interested and if you want to know his response, email me. I wish him the best, but he was not for me.

After things like this, I wonder what is wrong with me? Why do I attract such odd guys? It drives me crazy and makes me hate dating. The other week, we had this FHE where it was dividing into small dinner groups and I did not go because all I could think was I will just end up with more socially awkward guys. Sometimes, I feel some people think I should just settle for any guy. But I don't feel that way. With marriage, you cannot just settle for anything. For the first offering. Some days, I am just so jealous of Renee and Nathan. I envy them. I do, but it passes. They have everything I want. I just hate that this is such a difficult part of my life. I feel that everything for me has to be this huge challenge. Just, what is wrong with me? I feel it has to be me.

So, those with significant others, cherish your loved ones. Have a great Valentine's day!!!

5 comments:

Laurel said...

Wow, Janae, that's impressive! LOL! :) And don't worry, it's not you, I promise. I think you just need a little more confidence. You're amazing -- you're beautiful, healthy, fun to be around, smart! Guys should be lining up and you need to know that! Don't waste your time on the icky ones. Your time is not worth it. You deserve the BEST and he is out there. You'll find him. :)

Oh, and when I told Nathan about your post, and I said you only attract the weirdos, he said, "And what makes her think me and Renee didn't?"

So yeah. Apparently you can still marry a weirdo and be happy! Hahaha. :)

Andrea said...

I agree with Laurel, you are amazing! I had many weirdos come my way, my family still teases me about them all. I wish I could say something to make you feel better, believe me, I know what it's like. At 28 I just couldn't understand what was wrong with me. I even felt like the Lord was punishing me for some reason. Then things turned out and if I knew then what I know now I'd definitely go through it all again. People were always telling me that the Lord was just preparing me for some amazing guy, I never beleived them but I should have. Trust me, it's gonna happen! Hang in there Janae, love ya!

Jessica Mangelson said...

I once went out on a date with a guy who brought his iguana along. I only found this out a quarter way through the date when I heard scratching under my feet in the car… needless to say; he was not the guy for me!

I met my husband in the singles ward one Sunday when I walked in a few minutes late. A guy I knew in the hallway said, “Hey Jess, there is a new guy in the back row – you should meet him, he seems nice.”

We have two kids now…

There are some great guys out there – you will find one, and then you will both tell your horrible dating stories and laugh and laugh and laugh!

Renee said...

Janae don't worry! You'll end up with a weirdo just like the rest of us! I know it sucks, but enjoy the ride. That sounds weird, but it's true. You'll find one, I had weirdos coming at me from every side, even Lewis!
Something amazing will happen. You'll see.

Tiff :o) said...

I just came across your blog as I was blog surfing. I am also LDS so I understand the pressure. But I just wanted to say...enjoy where you are in life, no matter where that is. I never worried about when I'd get married since I was sure I would be 30 when I got married and I got married before that poit. But the thing I struggled with was not being able to have children. I've been married 9 years now and in 2005, I was having a meltdown about not being able to have children. I was a complete mess. All I wanted was to have children. I couldn't afford adoption or any other kind of procedure so it all seemed so hopeless. I never prayed so hard in my life to get something. Well, as you know, everything happens in His time, no matter how much you want otherwise. I didn't get what I wanted. I am so much happier today now that I have accepted that it's not my time...and maybe never will be (it's not up to me). I am enjoying being able to do what my friends with children can't do...or at least would make it harder for them to do. The same could be said for you. You have a freedom that your married friends/siblings don't. You're in a fun point in your life. An adult, able to decide for yourself what you'll do each day, and unmarried so you don't have to compromise yet...have fun while you are single and enjoy your time. You will find that guy at some point...and you won't have any regrets for not being able to do something you always wanted to do but can't now that you have a family, even if that family is just you, your husband and your dogs. ;o)

Funny stories by the way! :o)