Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Summer Reading!!!

This summer, I have done much reading, courtesy of the Boston Public Library. Libraries are fantastic because you do not have to pay for books and have an endless selection of reading materials. I have read through so much, from every book by Sophie Kinsella to reading Tori Spelling's Mommywood to Harry Potter. Go make use of your local library. You will never know what you find.

At the moment, I am currently Jodi Picoult's The Pact. I love her writing. She just draws you into her books and you cannot put them down. About a month ago, I read her book, My Sister's Keeper. What I love about her writing is that she tells her story from various points of view. There is no one main character, but you get to see the events unfold through different perspectives and she is not afraid to discuss any subject. The Pact deals with a suicide pact between a girl and her boyfriend. While she dies, he survives. The parents of the couple are neighbors and best friends. This situation drives them apart as Emily's (the dead girl) parents, especially her mother try to cope with her death. Her mother especially wants Christ (Emily's boyfriend) to pay for her death. On the other hand, Chris' parents believe the situation was a tragic mistake. Chris' mother, Gus will do anything for her son. Even though the book begins with Emily's death, Picoult takes you back through the years as she shows you how the families became close and how Emily and Chris fell in love. I have not finished yet, but I cannot put down the book. You just feel everything. She is incredible. If you get the chance, read one of her books.

No comments: