Thursday, June 18, 2009

What's the Point?

This is a question I have been struggling with the past few weeks. What is the point of doing the right thing when after you do it and know it is right, you are the one who is punished or has to suffer the consequences. It makes no sense to me. It lead me to a point where I was like why should I continue to do what is right? I make the right choices, but at day's end, I feel like I am slapped in the face for it. It has worn me down, but luckily I have my sister and friends out here to pick me up.

After laying it all out to my dad over the past few days, he has really helped me to understand that I need to continue the path I am on and look at the long-term and not the short-term. He relayed to me the story of Lehi's dream about the iron rod. In Lehi's vision, the iron rod sits by darkness, but leads us to the Lord as long as we do not let go. He reminded me that if I keep my hand firmly on the rod that the darkness hovering next to me will not hurt me. That I will be okay if I keep making the correct choices like Lehi and Nephi did. They held on and stayed true to the Lord. I needed this combined with advice from my sister about choosing to be happy, which is what I struggle with. She says I have gotten alot better and I agree. I am thankful for Renee. She is the best sister and it is crazy sometimes how well she knows me. I love her so! She is the one I can always lean on.

So if you find yourself asking, what is the point, remember that the Lord will never fail us if we do what is right. I believe we go through trials of our faith to make us stronger and to prepare us for the future, which we cannot predict. I feel stronger, though I have my weak moments. My faith is strong and when I come to the point I want to give up that is when I know the devil is winning. I am not backing down for what I know is right and I will hold to the rod.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

Thank you for this Janae. I struggle with this as well, I really do appreciate this post. :)

Laurel said...

Way to stand tall, Janae. Keep it up, you're an amazing person and you deserve to be happy, so choose it! :)

When are we going to see you again since we sadly missed you when you were here??

Janae and Topher said...

Thanks you guys. You are both great. Laurel, I will be back in California from June 30 through July 12 along with Renee and Lewis. Also, i was wondering if Eli could be my date to Renee's wedding and if when I am in town, we can go eat at Riptide?

Heather said...

Janae--you are fantastic. Did you know that? I have had some thoughts along the same line lately...Why do I even bother anymore? Can't I just give up and move far away where no one knows me and live an easier life? ...Thanks for reminding me to hold tightly to the rod and press on toward higher ground.