Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Looking for a good summer read?


Lately, I have been reading like crazy. After seeing previews for the upcoming movie, My Sister's Keeper, I decided to read by book. It is by Jodie Picoult. It is amazing. I could not put it down. I finished it in like 3 days and that is only because I had to work and sleep. My roommate read it in two days and even stayed up until 2 in the morning because she was so taken in by it. The book is about a family, with three children. Their oldest child is their only son Jesse, their next oldest is their 16 year old daughter Kate, and their youngest child is 13 year old Anna. Kate is dying of cancer. She was diagnosed when she was just a toddler. When her treatments did not work, her parents conceived Anna, who is a genetic match for Kate. After the parents had Kate, they never planned on having any other children, which is what Anna struggles with along with many other issues. Only the cord blood from Anna's umbilical cord was supposed to be used to treat Kate and send her into remission, when it failed, Anna then had to donate blood and give bone marrow.

With their options running out, as the mother Sara is trying desperately to save Kate, they decide to do a kidney transplant using one of Anna's kidneys. Before this happens, Anna sues for the right to make her own medical decisions. Her lawsuit tests her family's love for each other. It is told from each family member's point of view, plus the lawyer's. It is emotionally gripping and shows how strong bonds our between family members. I loved it, but I will not spoil the end. Read it. I have a copy if you want to borrow it, after Renee is done reading it.

2 comments:

JAG said...

I want to read it! The movie looks so good too!

shayne said...

ALL of her books are AMAZING....read more!!!! My favs are "Plain Truth", "Picture Perfect", and "Nine Minutes"....soooo goooood